Here is an alternative to the traditional Thanksgiving stuffing. The best part about this savory side dish is that it is packed with protein and a gluten free alternative.
1 cup uncooked quinoa, rinsed well
1 1/2 cups low sodium chicken or vegetable broth
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 small onion, diced
3/4 cup fennel, diced
1/2 cup celery, diced
1/2 cup carrots, diced
8 oz fresh mushrooms
salt and pepper to taste
1. Cook rinsed quinoa in broth according to package directions.
2. While quinoa is cooking, in a large heavy sauté pan add olive oil to the pan, then the onion, sauté for 1 minute.
3. Add the fennel, celery, and carrots, salt and pepper to taste; Cook about 12-15 minutes over medium heat until vegetables are soft.
4. Add the mushrooms to the pan and cook , stirring 5 minutes, then cook covered for 2 minutes or until the mushrooms are cooked through.
5. Add the cooked quinoa to the pan and mix well.
Makes 5 1/4 cups