1 large spaghetti squash
2 cups broccoli florets, steamed
1 Tbsp butter or margarine
1 Tbsp whole wheat flour
1 cup low fat milk
1 cup reduced fat cheddar cheese, shredded
1/2 cup grated Parmesan (plus 1 Tbsp for garnish)
salt and pepper to taste
1 tsp red pepper flakes, optional for garnish
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Cut the spaghetti squash in half. Scoop out and discard the seeds. Brush the center of the squash with olive oil and place cut side up on cookie sheet. Roast until tender when pierced with a knife, about 50 minutes.
2. Remove the squash from the oven and let cool. Once it is safe to handle, scrape the flesh into a large bowl. Add the steamed broccoli florets to the bowl and set aside.
3. In a large saucepan, melt the butter on medium heat. Whisk in the whole wheat flour. Add the milk and whisk quickly. Turn the heat down to low, add the cheddar cheese and 1/2 cup grated Parmesan to the saucepan, stir until melted. Remove from heat.
4. Pour cheese sauce over the spaghetti squash and broccoli mixture and toss until squash is covered.
5. Dish into 4 portions, top with salt and pepper to taste plus red pepper flakes and extra parmesan if you wish.